The Sexual Confusion of the Religious Right
In connection with our campaign to #VoteOutTheReligiousRight, I wrote The Christian Fundamentalist’s Erotic Dream to help pull the sheets off of the perverted sexuality at the root of the religious right’s distorted politics, their utter mendacity. In that post, I quoted Jeff Sharlet, author of The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power, who sums this up succinctly.
“[T]he erotic dream of Amreican fundamentalism is a restoration of
a cleansing of impurity, a nation without sin, an empire of the personal as political . . .
“Today’s Christian conservatives define themselves as apart from the world, and yet the modern movement aims to enjoy its fruits. To the biblical austerity of chastity, they add the promise of mind-blowing sex, using the very terms of the sexual revolution they rally against. And that’s just the beginning. Sexual regulation is a means, not and end. To believers, the movement offers a vision grander even the the loveliness of a virgin: a fairy tale in which every man will be a spiritual warrior, a knight in the service of the king of kings, promised the hand, the heart, and, yes, the sexual services of a “lady.” —
This is the cause of all the contradictions expressed in the religious right’s war on women’s reproductive rights, women’s right to earnings parity, and equality rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and trans people. Women are merely vessels for the ambitions of men, and not deserving of protections. This is also why the religious right is obsessed with the life of the fetus up until birth, but after that, especially if the mother child are poor, not so much.
- Ben Carson puts these absurd beliefs on display by saying, “There is no war on women — there may be a war on what’s inside of women, but there is no war on women in this country.”
- Donald Trump, though irreligious, aligns completely with the religious right, and his anti-women views are legion.
- And, Mike Huckabee calling for an 11-year old rape victim to be denied an abortion pretty much sums of the sexual vulgarity of the religious right.
- At the same time, we not hearing any condemnation of Ashley Madison from rightwing conservatives, no doubt because so many of them are clients.
When it comes to women, there is a very deep chasm of desire between those who want equality for everyone, guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution and those who are deeply committed to preventing that from ever happening. So stop trying to make sense of these right-wingers’ views of women and sexuality, and treat them like the childish and perverted hypocrites they are.
- ETC, New Education and Advocacy Organization for DC Trans Community - November 13, 2016
- Gender Yes. Binary No. - August 16, 2016
- The Only Use For Your Privilege Is To Give It To Someone Who Has None - August 15, 2016